Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New Opportunity

"She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night."
Proverbs 31:18
Michelle and I are going to step into the world of Avon. I have been an Avon supporter for some time now, appreciating the cost effective quality, however, had been content to purchase from someone else. Last week, my good friend, made me an offer I couldn't refuse. She invited me to become an Avon rep which will allow me to enjoy the products for an even more reasonable price, as well as, easily generate some additional cash flow for our home. Initially, I was not too interested, having been down the Direct Marketing route before. Then, as I pondered the opportunity, I found value in being frugal (deodorant for $.99 vs $3.99 at the store); setting my hands to something that can contribute to our household resources; and create a learning experience for Michelle and I. I am actually excited to play in this area! Avon has done amazing things to make the shopping experience easy as well. I appreciate this, given my desire to invest my time wisely. I continue to aspire to be a Proverbs 31 woman, and believe this season will add new opportunities for learning and growth.
This particular opportunity was not something I specifically choose - I did not wake up one morning shouting, "I want to be an Avon Rep". I had been praying for opportunities where my talents and experiences could bless our family and others. I had envisioned what this might look like and had been waiting not-so-patiently for something to show up. I wonder how many times in my life I've missed an answer to a prayer by overlooking opportunities that were right in front of me. I also wonder how my own agenda and prerequisites have limited my opportunities. I have recently been considering my prayers and communication with my Heavenly Father. Have I become self-centered? Have I been praying for blessings, and then lay out before God what I think I need, how things should look, etc.? And then wonder why I don't feel deeply connected to Father, and my heart. What is my purpose? How would I ever reach my destined plan if I am running on automatic self. Free will is the greatest gift our loving Heavenly Father gave me, and I've spent a lot of time expressing my will on demanding, self-centered, flesh driven choices. I realize just how I have been a poor steward of my time, talents, and faith. I feel I've contridicted myself in praying; Father, please bless me but here's how I want to be blessed. Where has my faith been?
How grateful I am for the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ!! His loving sacrifice not only offers grace to me when I loose sight of faith, He also modeled what it is to lay down self and truly align with the will of Heavenly Father. In the Garden of Gethsemane, as he plead with Father; "take this cup from me" - that was a prayer of self; but Jesus did not stop there. He continued his plea, "not my will, but thine be done". In that moment, the ultimate sacrifice was made. To lay down my will immediately allows Father to step in and move things according to His greater perspective. What an amazing plan!!!
I pray that this understanding moves me with greater faith! I pray that as I lay down my own agenda, I will connect with the opportunities and plans the Father desires for me. I firmly believe that my God is a good God all the time!! He wants to bless us abundantly, and it is my will to align with Him moment by moment. Enjoying the journey!! Being grateful for the happy mess of goo because I experienced the joy of my children's imaginations and play. Taking time to swing with my kids at the park, rather than just observe from the sideline. Connecting with my daughter's heart as she openly shares her dreams and desires even though it's WAY past bedtime. Being in a place of gratitude to enjoy all of the opportunities God affords me!! I am so grateful to be a daughter of such a loving Heavenly Father!! I commit to move forward with an open heart - available to see and share all that my talents, experiences, and opportunites can bless and be blessed.

No comments: